Going for Gold: 54 Students Gain Firsthand Work Experience at IKRON
Every summer, a group of young people walk through IKRON's doors to try something new. Something different from their usual day-to-day. Something designed to build their confidence and get them ready for their careers.
The Summer Youth Work Experience, now in its seventh year, has served hundreds of area youth who are ready to try working a competitive job but may not be quite to the point of jumping in on their own. Students work alongside other young people and a job coach to build teamwork and provide support. They work four hours per day, either three days or five days per week, at one of 20 job sites around Cincinnati--earning real pay for real work.
This summer, 54 students took on the challenge of learning and practicing job skills in a safe and supportive environment. Along the way, they discovered new capabilities and an excitement for working. Here's what some summer youth participants and their guardians had to say:
- "Although he had help when he needed it, he seemed to be able to do things independently."
- "I learned to work in a kitchen!"
- "My son was able to experience a job that he enjoyed doing, along with great people to help him learn and initiate self-sufficient work skills."
- "It gave kids the opportunity to learn different job skills and know they could do almost anything."
- "My favorite part was EVERYTHING."
- "I absolutely love that IKRON exists to help parents and children with disabilities to experience different job opportunities in a welcome environment. I wish it could be for the entire summer."
Summer Youth has only just ended and already some of the students have found jobs in the community, building on the skills learned and confidence gained during their time at IKRON.
Do you think the Summer Youth Work Experience 2022 might be right for you or your student? Enrollment begins in late winter/early spring each year for sessions beginning in June.
Many thanks to these Cincinnati businesses who hosted Summer Youth teams in 2021:
|Clifton Market||Create Good Sinks||Cincinnati Toolbank|
|Walgreens||Krohn Conservatory||Cincinnati Parks|
|Donovan's Oil Express||Sonesta Extended Stay||Gomez Salsa|
|Kirby's||TJ Maxx||Recovery Center of Hamilton County|
|Crossroads Church||Frisch's||Xavier University|
|Elephant Walk||Burger 513||Ohio Alleycat Resource Clinic|
|St. Vincent de Paul||IKRON|